The year was 2000. One special educator, one child, a table, a chair and plenty of determination is all it took. Voila, Orkids was an entity!
Orkids was born because of the sheer will to reach out to those families who did not have access to the handful of special educational services spread thin all over the city.
In the last over 15 years, Orkids has worked determinedly towards building awareness of the diverse needs of children. It has reached out not only to schools and teachers but also to parents, offering them professional expertise and a shoulder to lean on.
Slowly with more clinics in and around the city, Orkids shifted gears and started professional development modules for trained as well as untrained teachers. This was aimed at reducing the scarcity of special educators in the city and later in various states. More trained professionals meant more children being catered to. This is the simple philosophy of Orkids.
Clinics, training programs, SEN centres within schools, consultancy to hand-hold schools willing to start their own SEN programs, parents’ empowerment, community outreach services, research and development – Orkids has made a conscious decision to make a difference in all aspects that inspire Inclusion.
Orkids is that loyal friend to children, parents, teachers and schools who will always keep a lookout for you.
Orkids is that mentor who will show you the way by walking on that same way.
Orkids is that guide who will be at your side till you reach your destination.
Our story is that of a fire in our bellies, hard work, loyalty, determination and above all
integrity. Read it, laugh a bit, shed a few tears, get inspired, support us, have fun and above
all believe in our children.
Founder President, Orkids
Over 23 years of experience in
|Child Psychology||Community Services||Mental Health Services|
|Strategic Planning||Process Improvement||Special Education|
- Dynamic and goal-driven psychologist with extensive experience in helping children with scholastic backwardness and developmental delays to cope with adjustment, behavioral, and developmental issues
- Demonstrated skills in collecting and analyzing data to design and evaluate effective academic programs and other services, such as speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and special education for special children
- Expertise in conducting research to generate new knowledge that can be used to address learning and behavior issues
- Skilled at assessing individual child’s needs, limitations, and potential, using observation, review of school records, and consultation with parents and school personnel
Awards, Achievement & Highlights
- Harvard Graduate School of Education (HGSE): Visiting Scholar Program Spring 2016
- TEDx Talk Speaker on Simplistic Complexity in Mumbai, Feb, 2015
- Orkids Within School (OWS) won award for its contribution, excellence and achievement in the field of education and training in India in the category “Integration of Holistic Development in Education” at the IDA Awards World Didac, Mumbai, India, 2013
- Finalists in the Pearson Teaching Awards (Special Education Category) organized by the NDTV group, Jan 2013
- Felicitated with Aadhi Aabadi Women Achiever Award for commitment towards working in the field of special education for two decades and putting the education of the disabled on the road map
- Honored with Guruvar Award for Outstanding Indian Teacher of Children with Special Needs by Hon’ble Minister of Human Resource and Development, Shri Kapil Sibal, Jan 2010
Orkids Foundation is a registered organization under The Societies Registrations Act 1860, Government of India. It is registered under section 80G of the Income Tax Act 1961 vide number DEL – OE26316 – 18092015/ 6835 & 12A (a) of the Income Tax Act 1961 vide number DEL-OR24662 – 18092015/ 5059 with PAN no – AAAA0205M.